5. Wyclef Jean - "We Tryin' to Stay Alive"
There was no avoiding this rude little masterpiece in the summer of '97. Ever experimental, Clef distilled the Bee Gees' "Staying Alive" into a lively party track.
4. Missy Elliott - "The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)"
For those summer days when the heatstroke is so intense that you start wishing for rain. Down a glass off "Supa Dupa Fly" and let Missy wash away your sorrows.
3. Scarface - "Smile" (Feat. 2Pac and Johnny P)
"Smile" blends stirring piano and a posthumous appearance from 'Pac to yield an enduring soundtrack for tough times and hot weather.
2. Busta Rhymes - "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See"
Busta Bus works up a sweat on this smash single from 1997's When Disaster Strikes
1. The Notorious B.I.G. - "Hypnotize"
Sampling a chart-topping song and then turning the remake into a hit is a feat that rarely repeats itself. But that's exactly what D-Dot and Ron Lawrence did when they transformed Herb Alpert's No. 1 tune "Rise" into a hip-hop anthem. Incidentally, "Hypnotize" became a No.1 single as the music community was still coming to terms with Biggie's death in '97.