The Bottom Line
- Kwelis lyrical strength is felt
- He rhymes with the hunger of a new-comer and the passion of a veteran
- A positive and intelligent message
- A bouncy beat that complements the song
- Listen!!! is the lead single from Talib Kwelis upcoming Eardrum LP
- The song was produced by fellow New Yorker K1 a.k.a. Kwamé
- An excellent jam back-packers, mainstream listeners and everyone else wholl give it a listen.
Guide Review - Talib Kweli - Listen (Blacksmith / Warner Bros.)
Following in his tradition of dropping fun and intellectually clever first singles (Qualitys Get By and The Beautiful Struggles I Try), Talib Kweli dishes out some more edutainment with Listen!!!, and he certainly delivers. Loud as a whisper and quiet as a lions roar, Kweli examines societal problems such as poverty, the general lack of education and leadership, as well as hypocrisy in the music industry: back in the days we all used to LISTEN / now sh*t is so wack nobody LISTEN / to that real hip-hop, yall.
Talib Kweli, the self-proclaimed king of the bars, sounds fresh over this well-suited beat with an old-school feel, and quite frankly, its quite hard NOT to listen.