Read these tips and recommendations carefully before you begin. Please do not take these suggestions as a complete reference, refer to other sources on the web and library in addition to this. About.com is not responsible for any injury incured as a result of the instructions on this site. Practice with care.
- Warm up before you begin. Perform stretch exercises before and after breakdancing to increase flexibility and reduce risk of injuries.
- Instructions are only here to guide you. Develop your own style after learning individual moves.
- Incorporate other forms of dance where appropriate.
- When possible, practice on a large smooth floor. Crash pads, cushioned surfaces, and wrestling mats are good for practice as well.
- Practice with other breakdancers.
Music- Breakdancing is also known as hip-hop dance, so the type of music required is mostly hip-hop. There are also some good uptempo jazz tunes that work just as well.
Watch Other Breakers- Go to clubs and parties and check out some b-boy battles.
Record Yourself- Have a friend record you with a camcorder or take pictures of your moves.
Use Mirrors- In the absence of a dance partner, practice in front of a large mirror.
What You Need
- knee pads
- elbow pads
- wrist band