1. Entertainment

We witnessed plenty of good rap in 2012, but only 50 could make the cut. Friends, I give you: the Top 50 Rap Songs of 2012.

Update: I made a nifty little Spotify playlist for this year's Top 50. It lives here.

Comments

December 27, 2012 at 4:00 am
(1) Caveman says:

Even though some choices like Chief Keef and Future are questionable, it’s a pretty good list. Great choice with number 1.

I would’ve liked to have seen a little more Lupe Fiasco and Ab-Soul on the list. Also Hopsin’s “Ill Mind of Hopsin 5″ and J. Cole’s “Miss America” were great songs as well.

December 27, 2012 at 1:06 pm
(2) Kris says:

Fun to read through the list. Glad to see Action Bronson and Schoolboy Q get the love they did. 9-24-11 is probably my most played song from this past year… dat sample (not to take away from how good Bronson is). Druggys wit hoes again and hands on the wheel have been on steady rotation too. Cartoons and Cereal wasn’t exactly my favorite of Kendricks’ tracks, but it’s all good.

December 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm
(3) Zach says:

I thought Ill Manors by Plan B was the best rap song of the year. I would’ve considered White Dress by Yeezy and Devil’s Clutches by Reks to be the top song too. And I thought Don’t Die by Killer Mike was a lot more vicious and was better production-wise than Reagan, even though Reagan got all the attention.

December 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm
(4) Henry says:

Caveman – I like Jermaine but “Miss America” is not a Top 50 song.

Kris – I had a tough time limiting Schoolboy Q to just 2 songs. I’m sure you could make an entire Top 50 of just TDE joints. They owned 2012 and that’s a good thing.

Zach – “Don’t Die” is one of my favorites on Mike’s album, but “Reagan” is the better track. Plus, it felt more momentous and immediate in an election year.

December 27, 2012 at 8:28 pm
(5) Kris says:

Yes they did, Henry. I’m not the biggest fan of Jay Rock’s but it’s hard to argue with how good Black Hippy is top to bottom. I mean just think about some of the other “crews”.

Earl Sweatshirt might be the 3rd or 4th best MC if he were a part of Black Hippy. I’m not really a fan of G.O.O.D. music beyond Kanye (even though I love me some old Clipse). I don’t particularly like MMG at all. Weezy hasn’t been good for years, Drake I like about 50% of the time, and both of Nicki’s albums have been pretty weak. A$AP mob has no one substantial behind Rocky.

All of this is just my opinion of course, but it does seem Black Hippy is here to stay.

December 27, 2012 at 10:53 pm
(6) Guy says:

Hey Kris, A$AP Mob has Ferg. Dude is pretty amazing. Also to me, comparing Earl to anyone in Black Hippy makes no sense. They’re not alike in most ways; Earl’s pretty laidback, they’re more confrontational. Earl’s skill is his always smooth flow and his subtle rhyme patterns. He seems less impressive because he’s not trying as hard to rap circles around everyone else as Black Hippy are.

@ Henry – I’m surprised at the inclusion of Azealia Bank’s ’1991′. What are your reasons for picking that song over, say ’212′ or ‘Liquorice’ ?

December 27, 2012 at 10:56 pm
(7) Jon says:

Happy that 2 of the 4 songs I was hoping to make the list made it (9-24-11, Chum)! I see The Don made both honorable mention and #37 haha. If we’re putting up Chief Keef, it should at least be the remix, though, right? Regardless, a fine list indeed.

December 27, 2012 at 11:01 pm
(8) Jon says:

@Guy: 212 came out in December 2011, so that takes that one down.

December 28, 2012 at 12:11 am
(9) Henry says:

Ha! Thanks for catching the honorable mention thing. Fixed.

December 28, 2012 at 9:01 am
(10) Kris says:

@guy yes they are very different, but I still think they can be compared.

December 28, 2012 at 9:51 am
(11) SDK says:

NO TROPHIES SONGS ???

December 28, 2012 at 10:52 am
(12) Prolific says:

i agree with SDK how can you have a top 50 track list without prove me wrong or any other trophies song.

December 29, 2012 at 12:08 pm
(13) Pistol says:

One song that should be on the list is Fathers Day by Chino XL. If that song doesn’t bring a tear to your eye then I don’t know what to tell you. http://youtu.be/jRZkwp9eZXw

December 29, 2012 at 10:47 pm
(14) Jack says:

I think this list has finally allowed me to make the choice to never read this site again. Used to follow this alot and read all the articles/lists but as of late the lists have been awful. Chief Keef? Really? CHIEF KEEF?! That dude/song is worse than anything Soulja Boy has ever done. Disgraceful. Half the songs on here aren’t very good. Rick Ross and
Drake in the top 10? So bad.
The other half of the songs were good though, big fan of Killer Mike’s and El-P’s albums so was happy to see songs from those two make the list.

December 30, 2012 at 1:45 pm
(15) smike55 says:

Having read this list I am feeling very salty…very salty.

January 1, 2013 at 1:01 am
(16) BG says:

I’m surprised that The Recipe didn’t make it.

January 1, 2013 at 1:10 pm
(17) Henry says:

BG – I wanted to put EVERY GKMC song on the list.