1. Entertainment

Hip-hop was bursting at the seams with quality songs in 2011. Here's the Top 50.

Update: All right, you guys. Since you helped me compile the list, I've promoted your top pick, "Hiiipower," to #1. OK, you can stop wagging your fingers at me now.

Comments

January 5, 2012 at 5:19 am
(1) Z says:

Awesome you included “Doin Nothin’” and placed it so high! Reall great list by the way!

January 5, 2012 at 12:50 pm
(2) Ramon says:

My top 5 would be exactly like yours. However, i felt Hiipower was the best song of the year.

January 5, 2012 at 6:57 pm
(3) zach says:

I agree with Ramon about HiiPower, and I thought Ronald Reagan Era and Keisha’s Song were both better than ADHD. Also dissapointed to see no Apathy or yU, my top ten would look more like this

1. HiiiPower – Kendrick Lamar
2. Nasty – Nas
3. It Ain’t Hard to Tell – Elzhi
4. Stop What Ya Doin – Apathy feat. Celph Titled
5. Tron Cat – Tyler the Creator
6. Not Here Anymore – Phonte feat. Elzhi
7. Flawless – Shad
8. Yonkers – Tyler the Creator
9. The Other Side – The Roots
10. If U Down – yU

January 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm
(4) Kris says:

Glad to see that someone else likes Primetime as much as I do… so good. I’m also glad to see the huzzah! remix get the love it deserves. Finally, I like Cunninlynguists as much as the next guy (I ought to, being from Lexington), and I love Freddie Gibbs, but for the life of me I do not understand why so many publications have singled out, “Hard as They Come” as a highlight of Oneirology. I find it flat out boring. Probably my least favorite song on the album.

January 6, 2012 at 11:44 am
(5) Pratik says:

good list, but i also think HiiiPower should be no. 1

and wtf is uzoy? :D

January 6, 2012 at 12:22 pm
(6) Jay says:

Henry great list as always, keep it going in 2012!

January 7, 2012 at 12:28 am
(7) jmz says:

great list henry, expecting weekly top songs list in 2012

January 8, 2012 at 10:14 am
(8) Daniel says:

Ahhh, the much awaited top 50 songs, a good list as always Henry, even though I must say I am quite surprised Childish Gambino didn’t have any inclusions in the list.

January 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm
(9) BSLAAK says:

Who are half of these people?

January 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm
(10) Caveman says:

Awesome list… probably one of my favorites.

I didn’t mind ADHD being number one, but I do agree more that Hiiipower deserved the top spot. It’s not just a song, it’s a movement, or at least it will grow into one.

Btw Killer Mike was also featured in “Civil War.”

January 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm
(11) Marcio says:

Hey Henry! Do you have all these albums? Or do you heard at internet, at a cd store?

And do you heard these albums at least how many times to make the review and select the best musics?

Should be very nice and laborious!

And… I’d like to give some tips type lists type… “Best Rap Albums 1980S”, “Best Sports Rap Songs” and “Best Rap Songs For The Kids (Songs like I Can by Nas…)”. But only then you have a free time… You decide…

(Sorry for my bad english , i had to use the google tradutor to translate some words)

Excelent work man, i enjoy too much this site!

Have a great year! And GOD bless!

March 6, 2012 at 10:48 pm
(12) O.G. style says:

Yeah… list was decent… but 2011 wasn’t busting at the seams for quality. Hip hop/rap hasnt “Busted at the seams with quality” for at least 5 years