1. Entertainment

Jay-ZThese songs embody the spirit of the 2000s. Like the theme music to a good movie, they underscore a unique decade in hip-hop. Ladies and Gentlemen, grab your iPods, rev up your DeLorean. It's time to take a trip down memory lane and explore the best rap songs of the 2000s.

Photo UMG

Comments

January 30, 2011 at 7:13 am
(1) Z says:

The Milli Over Dance with the Devil? … That is…just… WRONG

Dance with the devil should be in top ten.

January 30, 2011 at 10:37 am
(2) Renan says:

Good list, but B.O.B. shouldn’t be #1.

January 30, 2011 at 11:16 am
(3) Jerome says:

This has to be one of the best lists I’ve ever seen. Never seemed too biased towards a particular style or artist. Seems like it was created based off longevity and impact on the genre as a whole, rather than personal opinion.

Respect to whoever made this

January 30, 2011 at 3:14 pm
(4) dedxsad says:

lol Henry, I think you need to change ur 100 best rap songs ever after making this one. A great list as usual, only song that I wanted on there that wasn’t was Down and Out by Cam’Ron

January 30, 2011 at 4:43 pm
(5) dedxsad says:

…o and i forgot, I thought Heart of the City by Jay-Z should be on here

January 31, 2011 at 1:12 am
(6) james says:

a lot of great songs on this list… but i’m very disheartened that “Two Words” by Kanye f/ mos and freeway has been left off. i personally think it is one of the twenty best songs of the decade.

January 31, 2011 at 8:08 pm
(7) G says:

Where’s Exhibit A? That one is really dope

February 1, 2011 at 1:37 am
(8) SR says:

^^^Exhibit C was and is epic, but I like Exhibit A more too.

Awesome list bro.
I woulda threw Lupe’s “Dumb It Down” and Little Brother’s “Lovin’ It” on here too though.

February 1, 2011 at 2:23 am
(9) Dylann17 says:

This list asks so many different questions and each song requires a different answer, but because it is Henry’s list I won’t ask a single one. Check out the songs you haven’t heard and enjoy the ride.

February 1, 2011 at 2:41 pm
(10) Caveman says:

Awesome list… but did A Millie really need to be that high?

Oh and Henry, you should post Lupe’s Words I Never Said. That’s like his Mosh anthem.

February 1, 2011 at 6:14 pm
(11) Adsy says:

Great list although I can see you were going for songs that had some commercial success, my personal top 10 in no particular order:
Devin the Dude/Snoop Dogg/Andre 3000 – What a Job
Common – Go!
Mos Def, Slick Rick – Auditorium
The Roots – Star
Nas – What Goes Around
Foreign Beggars/Skinnyman – Hold On
Marco Polo/Masta Ace – Nostalgia
Jay Z – P.S.A
Lupe Fiasco – He Say She Say
Elzhi/Royce – Motown 25

February 1, 2011 at 7:04 pm
(12) zach says:

missing 99 problems and half-cocked concepts by p.o.s.
how is nothing from The Mouse and the Mask, Below the Heavens, OST, God’s Son or the Grind Date on here??
And something saddens me about this list… In my opinion, the greatest song of the 00′s, and most definitely should be on the top ten on here is Uncommon Valor by Jedi Mind Tricks.
Rather disappointed, though the songs I like on this list all deserve to be on there

February 1, 2011 at 7:08 pm
(13) zach says:

also brooklyn in my mind by 9th wonder should be on there somewhere

February 2, 2011 at 8:33 am
(14) Moses says:

Anything from Below The Heavens should be on here.

February 2, 2011 at 1:22 pm
(15) Jonathan says:

Heads up dude: “How About Some Hardcore” came out in 1993! I do love M.O.P. though.

Otherwise, pretty good list. I didn’t recognize a lot of them, so I guess I got a lot of downloading to do as usual. Some great songs I would have liked to see:

“Sunshine” – Lupe Fiasco
“Till I Collapse” – Eminem
“Pittsburgh Sound” – Wiz Khalifa
“Handlebars” – Flobots
“Raw” – T.I.
“My Mistakes” – Wiley
“One Good Time” – Tech Nine
“Church For Thugs” – The Game
“Alphabet Soup” – Masta Ace
“The Warriors (ft. Slaugherhouse)” – Royce Da 5’9″

I feel at least some of these could have made it on this list. I know a lot of people were looking for Till I Collapse. Good list though. I appreciate all the work and research that had to go into making this.