1. Entertainment
Henry Adaso

Poll: The Greatest Female Rapper of All Time

By July 8, 2006

Eve is in the studio with Swizz Beatz and Dr. Dre. Shawnna has just dropped her sophomore set Block Music. With Foxy Brown fully recovered from a hearing restoration surgery, and Lil' Kim free from jail, it's only a matter of time before female rappers start giving their male counterparts a run for their money. Now's the best time to find out who holds the greatest femcee crown. If you ask me, I'd say...just kidding. You decide. As always, feel free to respond in the comment section if your choice is not listed.
    1) MC Lyte
    2) Lauryn Hill
    3) Queen Latifah
    4) Eve
    5) Mystic
    6) Lil' Kim
    7) Jean Grae
    8) Foxy Brown
    9) Rah Diggah
    10) Missy Elliott

View Poll Results

This Poll is now CLOSED. Thanks for voting.

Comments

July 5, 2006 at 6:44 pm
(1) Joey says:

I think that MC Lyte is the best from a pure rapping perspective–flow, lyrics, etc. Lauryn Hill is probably the greatest musician, as she could rhyme, sing, write, play, etc. And honestly, she’d be the greatest if she had made more hip-hop records. Missy is likely the most creative.

July 5, 2006 at 7:19 pm
(2) Mac T says:

Alright you guys have seem to overlooked Da Brat who although doesn’t have a solid career has put out some solid tracks such as funkdafied, which if i’am correct is the only song by any of those female artists on your top 100 songs list. Other then that i’d give it to MC Lyte and Shawnna shouldn’t even be on there, when your hit single is about sucking c*ck i don’t think you deserve any respect escpecially not lyrically. Go back to featuring on a beenie man joint.

July 5, 2006 at 9:04 pm
(3) Henry says:

Joey: I think Lauryn’s solo album plus her immense contribution to the Fugees only masterpiece The Score technically sh*t on most rap albums by both male and female artists. That alone guarantees her a spot next to Lyte’s throne.

Mac T: You almost had me there. I don’t see Shawnna on the list. And, yes, I did forget about Brat. Thankfully you’ve just earned her one vote.

July 5, 2006 at 10:37 pm
(4) MZlyricalVIC says:

wow.. of all time… thats not even fair… I still have to give it up for Lauryn Hill… thats wayy back there… and shes still kickin it!

July 6, 2006 at 3:00 pm
(5) Alex says:

Yo good list and everything, but what about Yo-Yo. Her first two CDs were amazing I thought. Not to mention she actually had a good message in her songs.

July 6, 2006 at 6:13 pm
(6) Henry says:

Alex,
The poll only allows 10 options. I’ll count in YoYo when I tally the final votes.

July 7, 2006 at 10:44 am
(7) Gina says:

thanks for posting this poll — i like that you’re recognizing some diverse talent here (from lauryn to mc lyte to missy).

i’d also like to add, if you’re a female (or male?) between the ages of 23-30, you probably know all the lyrics to shoop or at least one other salt n pepa song by heart. they made a huge bang…

July 7, 2006 at 11:35 am
(8) Alex says:

My bad man. I like the poll still though, made me look back and think some.

July 7, 2006 at 2:35 pm
(9) Henry says:

Alex: No stress.

Gina: I tried to limit the nominations to solo artists, but I’ll count your vote for Salt’N'Pepa regardless.

July 8, 2006 at 12:58 am
(10) dj melun says:

the fact that roxanne shante is not mentioned and mystic is shows the list is garbage

July 8, 2006 at 4:28 am
(11) Domi says:

…Roxanne Shanté and Bahamadia.

July 9, 2006 at 8:57 am
(12) Nikki says:

Well i like Shawnna and Babs. Them two spit lyrics i like to hear.

July 11, 2006 at 11:59 am
(13) Annonymous says:

Bahamadia…don’t sleep!

July 13, 2006 at 9:52 am
(14) HOLOCACTUS says:

MMM…all that women are very talented.
Now im thinking to add the girls from “Boss”…Yeah Yall my sista is a …
M.I.A., LADY SOUVERAIGN, ROXANNE SHANTE, BAHAMADIA, YARAH BRAVO, LA MALA RODRIGUEZ, HURRICANE G, KELIS, TRINA AND SHAWNNA…

July 14, 2006 at 2:53 am
(15) Andres says:

Da Brat – Only woman rapper to have #1 solo song ever – nuff said.

July 14, 2006 at 8:04 pm
(16) FANG says:

Left Eye!

July 25, 2006 at 7:53 pm
(17) Sara says:

I don’t think I could pick just one, all these women deserve respect (some much more than others). You seem to have overlooked some though, including the girls of TLC and the founding mothes of females in rap/hip-hop – Salt N Pepa!!!

January 24, 2007 at 9:43 pm
(18) Myiah Ford says:

Thanks for at least recognizing the femal emcees. I have a website: http://www.allfemaleemcees.com and this really helped me to build a page for Herstorical Icon Emcees. Again, thank you and please check out and support my site. I’ll add your link if you send it to me and vice-versa. ‘Preciate ya!
~Myiah Ford (owner)

January 30, 2007 at 6:30 pm
(19) kingscorpio4sho says:

i think lil kim da queen bee is da best rapper because although her lyrics are provocative i think her style is original and shes immulated the most

February 6, 2007 at 6:22 pm
(20) Sara G says:

I saw this female rapper on my space I can’t wait to she dropps the songs on there are hot and she’s performing for our troops thats wut its all about showin luv

April 6, 2007 at 3:20 pm
(21) Ryan Smith says:

Lauryn Hill is one of the greatest Female rappers ever, and she defintely deserves to be on the list

April 11, 2007 at 10:07 am
(22) Alan M. says:

I’d have to say, Lauryn Hill, Foxy Brown, Jean Grae, Roxanne Shante & Missy.

April 15, 2007 at 10:58 am
(23) PhellahG says:

Salt N Pepa, definitely. If not for them, a lot of these females wouldn’t have careers. Though I understand it’s limited to female soloist, but there are no other female groups or very few to compare. As far as solo, Bahamadia, YoYo & another pioneer, Roxanne Shante deserves honor. I love Lauryn, but it’s hard for me to put her above or call her the best over Lyte or Latifah, when she’s never carried an entire album with her rhyming skills. While Latifah did sing, her rhyming skills was top priority. It’s easier to come off nicer on 16 bars verses an entire song. But that’s my opinion.

April 15, 2007 at 11:02 am
(24) PhellahG says:

BTW. I love your list & respect all the ones mentioned. I’ll be doing my top 10 soon on my myspace page (www.myspace.com/phellahg). It’s not up yet, but I’ve already done my top 10 males & groups.

April 20, 2007 at 12:46 pm
(25) Wilson says:

Rah Digga is SOOO tight… Missy Elliot def should be #1 though… She’s the only female rapper who dudes listen to also… you know? Like her junk gets you pumped

May 16, 2007 at 5:11 am
(26) Cigar says:

I just don’t have much to say recently cigar accessory

May 21, 2007 at 2:51 am
(27) DEE-DEE(77) says:

u new school cats really should have no say in hip hop today,you’re the reason hip hop is dead. my choice is yo yo and u’ll soon see when she drops the new 1

May 21, 2007 at 9:44 pm
(28) Mistress says:

Sovereign, Sovereign, LADY SOVEREIGN!

June 1, 2007 at 9:00 am
(29) Killa says:

LADY SOVEREIGN YOU IS TAKEIN THIS PISS WITH THAT ONE RITE

June 5, 2007 at 5:03 pm
(30) you know says:

you seem to have forgotten lisa left eye lopes. ever hear the song freedom by panthers. well, the rap version is sick, and left eye tore it up. she deserves to be on there

June 18, 2007 at 2:52 am
(31) MRS.ABYSS says:

BO$$ IS BACK …AND SHE WAS AND STILL IS THEE BEST FEMALE M.C ATHLETICALY IN THE GAME PERIOD AND IF WE WERENT TALKING ABOUT JUST WOMAN …I’D SAY SHE IS THE HOTTEST PERIOD….SEE FOR YOUR SELF..NEW ALBULM 08

July 4, 2007 at 3:13 am
(32) D says:

Success,accomplishments,awards,years in the game etc etc…ALL are lil kim..NOT by my opinion either..by fact…she won hip hops first ever grammy award given to a female rapstress..first female rapper to have a # 1 single on the U.S charts..first and only to have a 5 mic album rating…12 years in the game (queen latifah & Lauryn never stuck around that long and she was in the game before missy and others) is one of the two highest selling female rappers in world history. (the other being missy)Firs string of albums all certified platinum…the only other rapper to have this feat is missy… every album she has ever made has debuted in the top 10 on the charts…hmmm..its VERY clear it comes down to kim and missy…altho kim DOES have more accomplishments.

August 19, 2007 at 1:32 am
(33) d says:

LOL…eve before lil kim and foxy? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats FUNNY…whoever did that is an air head LOL

September 3, 2007 at 3:56 pm
(34) zamire says:

dont 4 get def jams west 1993 greastest find Bo$$ you have to give it too her that born gangster cd will go down in history as one of the best

September 6, 2007 at 9:01 pm
(35) a fan says:

ROXAN ROXAN ROXAN!!! How could u leave her out!!!

October 14, 2007 at 9:27 pm
(36) Blues says:

I like the list But I must say in my book Foxy Brown is the Queen of rap hands down her delivery is crazy, and broken silence was an album that got slept on I’m still bumpin dat to this day.Still I got say hip hop is dead!!!

October 15, 2007 at 2:35 pm
(37) overseer says:

ok ok … keep in mind some of these chicks were getting ghost written for… that discredits them automatically…

Lauryn Hill for me is the best as far as flow and soul…MC Lyte probably gets the title cuz she’s a straight rapper not rapper/singer. Her content is diverse and she released several projects. But there are still lots of female rappers missing from the list…Remy Ma, Invincible of the Anomalies, La Bruja, Mala Reignz, Sara Kana, Free…and I’m forgetting a bunch myself….

October 28, 2007 at 9:43 pm
(38) jeela says:

check out myspace.com/kanarydiamonds i ran by her page i think shes dope!

November 1, 2007 at 3:45 pm
(39) Yorel says:

Aigh.. This is what it is. Phellah G, made a good point on Lauryn Hill, but the skills she displays rapping on her solo effect alone still places her high on the list. Only skill can do that.

November 1, 2007 at 3:56 pm
(40) Yorel says:

Here is My Top 10 Solo Female Rappers:
1. MC Lyte
2. Lauryn Hill
3. Roxanne Shante
4. Da Brat
5. Yo Yo
6. Remy Martin
7. Foxy Brown
8. Queen Latifah
9. Left Eye
10. Charlie Baltimore

Just my opinion…

Reserves: Missy Elliot – Lil Kim – Trina – Lady Luck (you can almost count her as a male artist, that’s cheating).

November 27, 2007 at 4:30 pm
(41) Knivman says:

I´d say Lady Bug from the good old Digable Planets earns top 10 position. She came with new stuff, was original… Erh, is original! // Knivman

December 16, 2007 at 4:50 pm
(42) G branch says:

All of these female rappers are great but they would not have a career if it wasn’t for roxanne shante.She paved the way for female rappers at the age of 15.No other female today has had an impact like that ever since.

December 28, 2007 at 10:35 pm
(43) Sophia says:

Did people just forget roxanne shante, she is another female mc who held her own against the guy’s

January 25, 2008 at 6:29 pm
(44) me says:

how can you forget
apani b
heather b
nonchalant
lin que???????????
and lots of others already mentioned in the comments.
there are and have been so many talented female out there!
lil kim, foxy and all them sell records because they sold themselves.
a rapper is someone who can also write her rhymes!
no 1 must be mc lyte.

March 16, 2008 at 10:01 pm
(45) superfly says:

i would definately give it up to lauryn hill the girl is too good missy would definately be up there but u cant forget about the suprenova a.k.a left eye the girl is sick listen to her album supernova she speaks the truth and her lyrics are realistic

April 15, 2008 at 7:00 pm
(46) T Sleazy says:

The Lady of Rage would slaughter any of those females on that list.

May 1, 2008 at 5:25 am
(47) Matt says:

Fox has always been pretty good, but my favorite by far is Lady of Rage. Crazy skill.

May 4, 2008 at 10:19 am
(48) ali says:

Best female rappers mc lyte, lauryn Hill, Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes, Charli Baltimore, Roxanna and Shante, Queen Latifah, Angie Matinez

May 28, 2008 at 12:40 am
(49) myspace.com/poplittleitaly says:

YEA THERE ARE SOME GREAT RAPPERS ON HERE BUT AS FAR AS FEMALE WHITE RAPPER THATS ONLY 12YEARSOLD SHE DOSE RAP/HIPHOP/POP AND IS AWESOME THE UNBELIEVABLY TALENTED…..
LITTLE ITALY (LI)
CHECK OUT HER SONGS BUT AS FAR AS HER RAP MY FAVORITES ARE… LIKE UHHH, FIRE, AND LI.
CHECK HER OUT AT MYSPACE.COM/POPLITTLEITALY
OR http://WWW.LITTLEITALYLIVE.COM,
SHE IS A GOREGOUS SKINNY, PRETTY, AND EXTREMELY TALENTED TRIPLE THREAT ACT,SING,AND DANCE OFF THE HOOK CHECK HER OUT AND EMAIL ME @ LITTLEITALIA1@GMAIL.COM

July 3, 2008 at 11:18 am
(50) johnny says:

The best female MC is LIL’KIM. She is sexual, she got the best voice and greatest songs. She is in da game since 1995, and she is always new. Her best songs are: No Time, Revolution, How many licks, The Jump off, Kimmy More & others. Another rappers : Foxy Brown, Vita, Trina & Missy. Peace

July 7, 2008 at 8:36 am
(51) QUEL says:

female rappers?lets talk about female mcs for a minutes ..female mc best?MC LYTE, QUEEN LATIFAH, MISSY, LAURYN HILL, RAH DIGGAH THEN THE REST CAN GO.BEST NEW FEMALE MC : JAZZELL WILLIAMS NOT EVEN NEW JUST YOUNG

July 22, 2008 at 1:45 am
(52) junkslugger says:

I SAY MALA REIGNZ ALL DAY SHE GOT THE MEAN SWAG (BUT NOT A FORCED ONE LIKE MOST OF THESE UPCOMING CHICKS) SHES PUERTO RICAN AND SHE MAD REAL PLUS HER SONGS BANG HARD. SHES PRETTY TOO AND SHE DONT EVEN DRESS ALL SLUTTY (I AINT GAY SO SHUT THE F UP)

ANYWAYS MALA NEED TO BE UP THERE AND NO SHE AINT THAT OTHER FEMALE RAPPER MALA RODRIGUEZ
MY GIRL REIGNZ RAPS IN ENGLISH AND GOT THAT FIRE TOO

August 25, 2008 at 7:17 pm
(53) minipix says:

that poll is wrong lil kim and foxy brown should be numbers 1 and 2 and where is trina

August 26, 2008 at 4:18 pm
(54) Prince says:

MC Lyte is a pure rapper and was. Her lyrics was impeccable. Lauyn Hill had skills. i will put her in the top five. Missy have skills as lyrical and make clarity. not much of a pure rapper as Yo Yo and Lyte would be. even as Lil Kim, but Missy top 10 hands down.
I do agree Yo Yo and Roxanne Shante, both Roxanne for that matter should be on the list. but what about Ationette and Terrible T?

October 24, 2008 at 11:44 pm
(55) Littleitaliakalimanagement says:

xl067 Spotted a Italian Rapper LI sice she has raped o radio stations released “Put on Some Music” Littly Italy aka Li Song called Like UHH!!! Best rapper female shes been spotlite on HOB with Jesse McCartney Downtown Disney, Myrtle Bch. Notice ssa.cc 2008 music awards VOTE Littleitalylive.com song Ice Cream is nominated 3 catagories she is mentioned She is a talent you watch n see!!

February 6, 2010 at 5:05 pm
(56) Keke says:

kennesha sims is the next female rapper shes 13
and lives in ARKANSAS lOoK fOr hER oR dIe >:]-
im NoT kIdDiNg I cAn R@P!!! focus on the future
im gonna be 20 when nicki and trina r in their 30′s. Im StUPid ._.

February 13, 2010 at 8:35 pm
(57) keke says:

i didnt mean 2 type that ^^^^^^^^

November 21, 2010 at 3:02 pm
(58) Meeee says:

wow whoever made this list needs to take a trip back in time and recognize the real 10 Ten Greatest…But anyways here is mine!:

1) Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes
2) Missy Elliot
3) Lil Kim
4) Lauren Hill
5) MC Lyte
6) Da Brat
7) Queen Latifah
8) Lil Mama
9) Trina
10) Eve

Any of my Top 5 could hang with da baddest guys in da game…Try ‘em!

November 9, 2011 at 2:34 pm
(59) Blondie says:

I don’t agree with this list at all! But here are my top five….the rest I don’t really care about!

1. Rasheeda
2. Trina
3. Diamond (Ex-Crime Mob member)
4. Nicki Minaj
5. Shawnna

January 25, 2012 at 2:07 pm
(60) Cheddargrits says:

Lauren Hill was not just the best Female MC she was one of the best MC’s of our time. Just listen to her verses on the score and try to argue.